The proposal "prop-117: Returned IPv4 address management and Final /8 exhaustion" has been sent to the Policy SIG for review.
It will be presented at the Open Policy Meeting atAPNIC43 in Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam on Wednesday, 1 March 2017.
We invite you to review and comment on the proposal on the mailing list before the meeting.
The comment period on the mailing list before anAPNICmeeting is an important part of the policy development process. We encourage you to express your views on the proposal:
- Do you support or oppose this proposal? - Does this proposal solve a problem you are experiencing? If so, tell the community about your situation. - Do you see any disadvantages in this proposal? - Is there anything in the proposal that is not clear? - What changes could be made to this proposal to make it more effective?
1. Problem statement -------------------- APNICcurrently makes delegations from two IPv4 pools. These are the 103/8 (Final /8) pool and the non-103/8 IPv4 Recovered pool.
With current policy, all returned address space, including 103/8 blocks, will be merged into the IPv4 Recovered pool.
If a 103/8 block is returned, it is placed in the IPv4 Recovered pool and re-distributed as returned space. Some organisations may receive duplicate blocks from 103/8: one under the final /8 policy, the other under the returned pool policy.
CurrentAPNICPolicy requires account holders to receive address space from the 103/8 (Final /8) pool before they can apply for address space from the Recovered pool.
APNICcurrently manages a Recovered Pool Waiting List for approved requests that cannot be met from the IPv4 Recovered pool.
2. Objective of policy change -----------------------------
To simplify the address pool management and to provide guidance for 103/8 pool exhaustion.
3. Situation in other regions -----------------------------
- Recovered 103/8 space will be placed in the 103/8 (Final /8) pool. - Recovered non-103/8 space will be placed in the IPv4 Recovered pool. - The first time an approved request cannot be fulfilled from the 103/8 pool, Final /8 delegations will end. -APNICwill begin to manage only one (Recovered) IPv4 pool containing any residual 103/8 space and all future returns, including 103/8 returns. - Each new account holder can receive up to a /22 from the IPv4 Recovered pool. - Existing account holders who have not yet received space from the Recovered pool may continue to apply for up to a /22 from this pool. - A waiting list will be created if approved requests cannot be fulfilled. Each new account holder will be given priority in the waiting list.