j: Next unread message
k: Previous unread message
j a: Jump to all threads
j l: Jump to MailingList overview
Dear Pacific Colleagues,
In the quest to broaden SIDS and Developing Country participation within the IGF, we are hosting a two hour Preparatory Session for Small Islands Developing States and Least Developed Countries on Sunday the 17th December, 2017 to encourage increased awareness of Internet Governance and meaningful participation from governments, private sector and civil society. The Preparatory Session will be held on
Sunday December 17, 2017 *09:00 - 11:00* at the Salle 5 https://igf2017.sched.com/venue/Salle+5?iframe=yes&w=100%25&sidebar=yes&bg=no *Centre International de Conférences Genève (CICG).*
The central objective of the Preparatory Session is to provide a briefing on Internet Governance and to encourage increased participation and launch a network to ensure that SIDS and Developing voices are included in global policy discussions and conversations. In addition, it is to encourage SIDS sharing resources with each other to accelerate the opportunity of achieving access and meeting Sustainable Development Goals 2030. We would like to see a growth in participation and workshop proposals to the IGF Secretariat for 2018 and beyond.
Aside from inviting select Permanent Representatives to the UN in Geneva and to the WTO, where we are expecting a roundtable style moderated discussions, we would like to extend the invitation to the MAG who may wish to invite colleagues or friends to attend the 2 hour preparatory session or offer themselves to part of the dialogue.
If anyone in the Pacific would like to contribute to the Panel or showcase material from your country or organization at the SIDS Booth please feel free to contact me on email@example.com or Cintra Sooknanan on firstname.lastname@example.org
If anyone from the Pacific would also like to be part of any of the Panels below, simply indicate by emailing Cintra and I separately so we can arrange to have you slotted in.
* SIDS AND LDCs TENTATIVE PROGRAMME 17th December, 2017, Geneva (0900 – 1100)*
• Welcome by Moderator, Bevil Wooding, ARIN Outreach Coordinator
• Setting the Context Introduction to Internet Governance. WGIG 2005 Report, Mandate of the IGF and Renewal of the IGF, and the IGF in Transition. [5 minutes] Professor Ang Peng Hwa, Nanyang Technology University, Singapore. Member of the Expert Group that wrote the Working Group in Internet Governance Group (WGIG 2005 Report https://www.wgig.org/docs/WGIGREPORT.pdf. [To be Confirmed] Representative from the NRIs To Be Confirmed.
• Opening Remarks by Ambassador Nazhat Shameem Khan [5 - 8 min] *CONFIRMED*
• Increasing Quality of SIDS participation in the IGF (Rep from Caribbean, AIMS and Pacific, MAG representatives, IGFSA [10 min]
• Diplomatic Corp SIDS and LDCs Roundtable facilitated by Ambassador Nazhat Shameem Khan [30 minutes] *CONFIRMED*
• Regional Internet Registries (NRO), Overview of Internet Use in SIDS Countries [AFRINIC. APNIC, ARIN, LACNIC, LACNIC, RIPE NCC] [20 min]
• Private Sector (Business Community from SIDS and LDC Region) [Theme to be developed] [10 min]
• ICANN Engagement and Internet Governance [15 minutes]
• Panel on ITU-D Resolutions Update convened by ISOC Jane Coffin [15 minutes] [Jane Coffin acquiring panelists to include UNCTAD.
• Emerging Issues Impacting Business Communities in SIDS and LLDCs (Joining the Global Conversation) [15 min]
• Panel on International Organisations Engagement in Internet Governance UNESCO, WIPO, WTO etc [20 min]
• Civil Society [Digital Rights, etc] [15 min]
• Overview of Sessions at the IGF 2017 [Cyber Security, Human Rights, Trade etc]
• Discussion on SIDS and LDCs Network and appointing Secretariat
• Identifying Terms of Reference and Scope for Network
• Appointing Coordinators and creation of Mailing List and Looking for volunteers to host the listserv etc
• Developing future pathways as a global community